2.18.2005

Polarity or progress?

Welcome. This blog is a place away from my 'official' blog, where I can discuss other matters not included there. I'm particularly interested in various factors contributing to what is perceived and expressed as a "polarized" nation. Are we really that polarized? Is there common ground?

The finding of and working from common ground, I would argue, used to be upheld as an expression of wisdom. I fear it's fallen on hard times now though, as shrill political rhetoric intentionally seeks to divide by impressing upon impressionable people an "us vs. them" attitude and then stoking that impression, sometimes into near hysteria.

Here, I aim to exposit the elements contributing to that polarization and discover common ground and cause for progress away from polarization. I'll also throw in some comments on my interests including music, spirituality, objectivism and libertarianism.