5.22.2008

McCain's 'Pastor Problem'

5:39 pm. AP reports: McCain Rejects Pastor's Endorsement. ("Republican John McCain rejected the months-old endorsement of an influential Texas televangelist after an audio recording surfaced in which the preacher said God sent Adolf Hitler to help Jews reach the promised land.")

4:13 pm. (At which time Hagee was probably being asked by reporters to comment on the above coming article) I receive an email from a top PR firm (5wpr.com), stating that Pastor John Hagee was withdrawing his endorsement. The email was probably done quickly -it carried no email signature.

"Dear Sherrie,

Ever since I endorsed John McCain for president, people seeking to attack Senator McCain have combed my records for statements they can use for political gain. They have had no qualms about grossly misrepresenting my position on issues most near and dear to my heart if it serves their political ambitions.

I am tired of these baseless attacks and fear that they have become a distraction in what should be a national debate about important issues. I have therefore decided to withdraw my endorsement of Senator McCain for President effective today, and to remove myself from any active role in the 2008 campaign.

I hope that the Senator McCain will accept this withdrawal so that he may focus on the issues that are most important to America and the world."
Posted by Picasa